Quoting the change log:
Almost a year of hard work, 3000 single changes, new developers and players, a few tourneys and lots of matches have passed since the last release.
Today the Alientrap team is proud to bring you a new and improved Nexuiz! Still trying to achieve this fine balance between fun and a challenge, you will notice lots of small additions that will make playing even more fun.
Some larger changes like the new guns and particle effects will make you want to dive into the great and friendly Nexuiz community, while the large additions including the race game mode, some new maps and improved netcode will take away lots of hours of your free time.
Do you dare to take a look and see for yourself what a totally free and open source game can be?
New features include:
- Completely redone HUD and user adjustable scoreboard
- Totally rewritten Client/Server communication to cut the bandwidth usage in half
- New gamemode “Race”. Try to get from start to end of a level as fast as possible. Available as free-for-all and team variant. Further allows to play with or without a qualification period.
- Added several new weapons (on-hand Grappling Hook, Port-O-Launch, T.A.G. Seeker, Heavy Laser Assault Cannon, Rifle)
- Map editor NetRadiant included
- Improved all effects for eye candy and tweakability
- All maps recompiled with external lightmaps which allow for much crisper shadows
- Added maps desertfactory (DM, TDM, MinstaGib), racetrack (Race) and made aggressor support Key Hunt
- New player sounds, announcer sounds/voices, textures, crosshairs, weapon models, effects and menu skins
- Added support for video capture to OggTheora
- Integrated the Havoc mod into the menu! Havoc servers use quite different physics and weapons, give it a try!
- Fixed a crash with ATI drivers on shutdown or vid_restart
- Fixed several problems with lagging gameplay/crashes/wrong display of effects
- Improved bots (teamworking, bunnyhopping, swimming, better way finding, support for ladders, less CPU usage, faster map loading)
- Better visual display of carried items (Strength, Shield, flags and keys)
- Better parental guidance support with cl_gentle and cl_nogibs
- Lots of tourney-related features (timeout/in, spectator-slots, allready, warmup mode, lockteams, unlockteams, movetoteam_red/blue/…, nospectators, records, cointoss)
- Added some effects customization options like cl_casings, cl_weaponpriority
- Many more map entities allowing for more dynamic maps
- Restructured and improved menu: demos menu and multiple campaigns are back, also added an advanced menu containing ALL settings of the game
For a more complete list of changes see: https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=672474&group_id=81584
As usual, you can download the newest release from our download page.
If you are providing a mirror of the release, please notify us so we can add it to the official mirror list. For any comments, suggestions or questions, please refer to our forum or the FAQ.
Because of many major changes there is NO PATCH available.
To make sure nothing breaks, you should use a new directory to unzip Nexuiz 2.5!
If you use 2.5 and see a server with no gametype it’s an 2.4.2 server, don’t play on those. :)
Alientrap is also currently looking for new coders, modelers, mappers and people experienced with creating sound effects. If you feel like helping improve Nexuiz or Zymotic please contact the team via forum or IRC.
You can Download Nexuiz Here. To run Nexuiz, extract the files anywhere on your computer and run the executable. Try GLX first and if you experience problems, you hardware maybe better suited for the SDL version. The main difference between the two is the software libraries they are compiled for.
If you’d like to spread the word, it’s a good idea to share the Nexuiz 2.5 release on your facebook account. You can digg it here: http://digg.com/pc_games/Nexuiz_2_5_is_released